11.03.2006

Taking the easy way out

Anyone who has ever gotten an autograph on a sports card knows what happens if you don't rub off the glossy coating. The ink doesn't set well, bubbling up and often smearing. To minimize the risk of that, hounds spend a good amount of time "erasing" cards.

Every once in awhile, though, a card set comes along that is a collector's dream. Not only does a set offer a variety of players, and not just the stars who are better off signing pucks, but the cards also lack that pesky glossy coating. The 2005-06 Parkhurst, a late-season offering from Upper Deck, is one of those sets.

Using these Parkhurst cards (top row) as often as I can, I've cut down on my prep time and have made far fewer messes of eraser shavings. The 700-card set is pretty deep, offering at least 15 players per team.

Other recent sets that don't require erasing include In the Game's 2003-04 Original Six (bottom left) and Upper Deck's 2002-03 and 2000-01 (bottom right) Vintage.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I have a suggestion: try rubbing baby powder on the cards to get rid of some of that pesky glossing. Just sprinkle a bit on, rub it around with a kleenex,and presto! (hopefully). I used to do this with cards I sent in the mail, and that autographs that came back were not smeared or bubbly at all. Happy collecting!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

It's weird, I tried the eraser method a lot and never had it work well for me. Baby powder has always been my tool of choice for the glossy cards. Just a light sprinkling, then wipe it around on the card and you're all set. I've heard some Scotch tape works well if used correctly.

2002-03 Topps Total, the set I'm working on getting fully signed, is another no-eraser-needed set.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Puckhound said...

Thanks for the suggestions on using baby powder. I'm sure we have some left from when the Goofy Dude was a baby.

The eraser I've been using for a couple years now is white and made by Staedtler.

Now that I'm getting wicked picky about who I have sign pucks, I'll be using more cards. I'll try it on Saturday for Atlanta.

Thanks again.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home