11.07.2006

Don't complain if you don't vote

Here in the states, including vote-counting-challenged Flori-duh!, it's Election Day. Registered voters, myself included, will elect U.S. senators and representatives, a governor, an attorney general, a chief financial officer and an agriculture commissioner (The incumbent is Charles Bronson, right, but not that Charles Bronson.).

In the vein of the political holiday, I offer the hockey world the following races and referendum questions (Write-in votes, however, are allowed):

Biggest surprise: Anaheim Ducks or Buffalo Sabres?

Best future: Anaheim Ducks or Pittsburgh Penguins?

Biggest flop: Columbus' Fredrik Modin or Florida's Nathan Horton?

Best acquisition: New York's Mike Dunham or (as much as it kills me) Toronto's Andrew Raycroft?

Best goaltending tandem: Anaheim's J-S Giguere and Ilya Bryzgalov or San Jose's Vesa Tsokala and Evgeni Nabokov? Buffalo's Ryan Miller and Martin Biron are the third-party candidates.

Best hot dog: Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk or Washington's Alexander Ovechkin?

Best pest: Toronto's Darcy Tucker or San Jose's Ville Neimenen?

Worst team: Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Philadelphia Flyers or Phoenix Coyotes. (Wide open race, eh?)

Referendum Question No. 1: Is the Sabres' new "Buffaslug" logo really that bad?

Referendum Question No. 2: With Wayne Gretzky far better than anyone else on the Phoenix Coyotes, should The Great One change his title to player/coach/part-owner?

2 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Ack, I'm late! I was too busy watching the demise of my vote for governor in Texas (Kinky Friedman in 2010!)

Anyways, here goes...

Biggest surprise: I really can't decide here. Anaheim was predicted to do well with the addition of Pronger, and the Sabres were a conference final team last year. I'll give an edge to the Sabres for the amazing, unpredictable start.

Best future: My homer vote says Penguins. You can't go wrong with Evgeni Malkin and a Staal brother. And I hear that Crosby kid is a decent player too.

Biggest flop: Modin. Horton is still young yet, but the clock is ticking.

Best acquisition: I haven't followed either too closely this year, but I'll vote Dunham. He's always been a very good goalie, but Raycroft has proven before that he's good with the Calder Trophy. So Dunham has been a bit more of a surprise thus far and therefore a better acquisition in my mind.

Best tandem: Toskala is a favorite of mine as a former Clevelander, but I still have to vote for Miller and Brion here.

Best hot dog: Ovechkin. How does he pull off those goals from his backside???

Best pest: I'm using a write-in here on Sean Avery.

Worst team: They aren't the worst really, but I have to vote for the Flyers. Certainly the most underachieving team out there this year.

Issue one: Along with my vote of "YES!!!" and my belief that it looks like Donald Trump's hairpiece, I give you this: http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/1106/nhl_melrose_195.jpg

To make it more hockey related, it was put atop Barry Melrose.

Issue two: Yes. He even has the protection he had in Edmonton, it's just that it's now named Laraque and Gratton rather than McSorley and Semenko.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Puckhound said...

Drew:

Your "I voted" sticker is in the mail.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home