3.12.2007

Try getting this set signed

It looks like Upper Deck is borrowing from the Topps Total concept from a few years ago with its upcoming 700-card offering, 2006-07 O-Pee-Chee. (Patience is required.)

A 500-card base set, plus a 100-card Marquee Rookies subset, will be the biggest set of the season. And, for the record, Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin (shown at left, from Upper Deck's Web site) is card #564.

One of the nice things about a set this size is the inclusion of everyday players into the lineup. Among others, you'll find cards for Boston's Mark Mowers, Buffalo's Adam Mair, Detroit's Andreas Lilja, Minnesota's Wyatt Smith, Ottawa's Tom Preissing and Tampa's Nolan Pratt.

Besides Malkin, the rookie lineup includes, as expected, Boston's Phil Kessel, Los Angeles' Anze Kopitar, Montreal's Guillaume Latendresse, Nashville's Alexander Radulov, Pittsburgh's Jordan Staal and San Jose's fuzz-faced trio of Matt Carle, Joe Pavelski and Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Despite Upper Deck's Feb. 27 release date, a Tampa Bay-area card dealer, who I spoke with yesterday at a Toronto Blue Jays spring training game, told me that he's getting the cards next week.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

If I were still hounding in person, that set would be my next big project, following in the footsteps of my half-completed Topps Total set.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Puckhound said...

I was wondering how you were doing with that set when I wrote that sentence. It certainly is a challenging one, isn't it?

3:48 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

It's about halfway finished. I have a full tracker and scans of it on my website

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This set baffles me. They go through the effort of making blimp-sized team sets, but then they hold out autographs for say, the Dallas Stars.

The jerseys look attractive, though. At least they have some Dallas jerseys in there.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Puckhound said...

Hey Drew, can you post a link to your Topps Total set here in a message?

I think that's pretty cool that you're working on a set that big.

I have a hard enough time just trying to get the AHL All Star and UD Rookie Class sets done.

Michael, I'm sure you know by now that there's very little rhyme or reason as to thinking that goes on at Upper Deck, or any of its related nameplates.

It's caused me a headache or two, so all I can suggest is buying what you want and what you like.

I'm not a big fan of any 90-card set, so I'm kinda looking forward to the O-Pee-Chee.

I wish Upper Deck would tell us, though, whether it would trot out a Parkhurst set this season. I loved last year's offering.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Drew said...

No problem, here's the direct link to the Topps Total monstrosity:

http://pages.emerson.edu/students/a/andrew_pelto/0203ToppsTotal.htm

It's one of five sets I'm working on right now (the other four kinda half-heartedly right now), all of which can be seen here-- http://pages.emerson.edu/students/a/andrew_pelto/sets.htm

12:13 PM  
Blogger Puckhound said...

Thanks, Drew.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home