3.04.2007

Sunday morning homily XV

Recent conversations with my Aunt Pat, down here in Florida as she escapes another brutal western New York winter, have shed some light on my serious devotion to hockey.

All along, I've known that a maternal generation, maybe two, lived on Prince Edward Island after leaving Scotland. After talking to my Aunt Pat, though, I've found out that three generations of family took up residence in the Canadian Maritimes before settling in the United States.

I guess, then, that I have more than a drop or two of Canadian blood pulsing through my veins. It also explains, too, why I have such a fondness for O Canada, and not just because it's easier to sing than the Star-Spangled Banner. My surname may come from Germany, but it's nice to know that I'm part Canadian, too.

Knowing one's heritage, I believe, is important. And despite having only six (Thanks, Drew, I had temporarily forgotten about Ottawa) of the NHL's 30 teams, we all know that hockey is Canada's heritage. Always has been, always will be. Unfortunately, some hockey fans here in the States may forget that from time to time.

Bottom line, though, is it doesn't matter where you live or where you're from. This blog has had visitors from as far away as New Zealand, Mongolia and Iceland. Hockey is hockey. And we all love the game, don't we?

He's a big fan

Though hockey purists don't like the shootout, count my son, Colin, among the supporters. Just as I sat down to start writing this morning, he came up and suggested a topic.

"Remember that time, I think it was on TV, when the Lightning scored all three times in a shootout?"

"No, not really."

"I do. It was Vinny Lecavalier, Marty St. Louis and Brad Richards. I remember."

"You do, huh? I'll take your word for it."

"Yeah, I like it when Marty and Vinny score."

"So do a lot of other people down here, buddy."

Another clean slate

It was nice to read in this morning's paper that Brad Boyes scored for the Blues last night. Perhaps the change in scenery, from Boston to St. Louis, will help him rediscover his scoring touch.

Though this season's production has been disappointing for him, he hasn't forgotten how to play hockey. Last night's goal, too, shows that Boyes, now with his fourth NHL organization (Toronto, San Jose, Boston and St. Louis) in five pro seasons, hasn't forgotten how to put the puck in the net.

It makes me wonder, though, whether the Boyes' scoring troubles aren't the aftermath of the undue pressure of playing in Boston. After stellar rookie campaigns, both Boyes and goalie Hannu Toivonen, shipped down to Providence, have struggled this season.

Expectations, especially in Boston, always run high.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home