2.22.2007

Review: 2006-07 NHL Rookie Class


Please, don’t believe that I’ve become a flak for Upper Deck, but the 2006-07 Rookie Class set offering is too hard to pass up.

This 50-card box set, though not technically rookie cards, features the top first-years players of the NHL’s 2006-07 season. You’ll get cards of, among others, Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal, Los Angeles' Anze Kopitar, Nashville's Alexander Radulov, and San Jose's Matt Carle and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

To me, a set like this is excellent for autographs. You’re not defacing a true rookie card, and lowering its value on the secondary market, and there’s the eventual thrill of finishing a relatively easy-to-do set.

And, for $20, it’s probably the best deal Upper Deck has offered this year. Now, if I could just convince them to do away with the shiny surface.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

I've picked up this one and also last year's set. Great stuff! I'll be enclosing my Staal and Malkin ones when I mail requests to them.

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought one this year and dig the set a lot. the design is really nice. plus I got an oversized Kopitar rookie out of the box! just what I was hoping for.

the really good thing about these types of products, UD sells them for retail price in their store but they also put coupons in some of their packs that let you redeem for a "random" amount of 10, 25, or 50% off (I had one worth 50 that I used, now have about 3-4 of them all worth 25%, which is weird luck or else I'm doing something funny). only one per purchase of course.

as for these cards, I'll just put them in a binder but they definitely make ideal signing material (like Sidney Crosby "Phenominal Beginnings" and Crosby/Malkin "Diary of a Phenom" sets).

I personally like the shiny appearance, but that's because I'm a card collector. of course *rub rub rub* usually works, just annoying and time consuming.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home