12.10.2006

Sunday morning homily VI

I couldn't help but laugh after listening to Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle go off on some dealers yesterday afternoon in Tampa. Better yet, he didn't even wait until being asked.

"I'm not signing anything. I signed this morning," he said. "You think I don't know your tricks. You all went home and changed your clothes."

A former NHL defenseman, Carlyle certainly was wearing his game face. Then again, you'd think that an NHL coach would have better things to do than concern himself with the fashion habits of autograph dealers.

~ Am I alone in believing that the NHL Center Ice package could be improved? Though this is the first year of having a subscription, I'm continually disappointed with the minimalistic approach to coverage. No pre- or post-game shows. No reruns the following day. At the least, they could put together a 30-minute highlights package.

~ Now that you're done with your Christmas shopping (yeah, right), stringing up the outdoor lights (my chore for the day) and getting ready for the next hounding trip (next Saturday, for Carolina), here are a few suggestions for your hockey reading pleasure (other than Hound Central 2.0, of course): The Game, by Ken Dryden; Ice Time, by Jay Atkinson; and Home Ice, by Jack Falla.

~ Finally, does anyone really believe that the noise-meters shown on Jumbotrons across the NHL are real? Maybe I'm a hockey purist, but inducing the crowd to make noise with "technology" just doesn't seem right. As a result, I seldom participate.

Now, if the cheering is organic in nature, so to speak, in a show of appreciation for sustained offensive pressure or the killing of a penalty at a critical juncture of the game, I'll try to be the loudest fan there.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't get myself to want to get Center Ice. It's overpriced for what you get (as you've noticed), the "New NHL" has lost a lot of my interest (thank you Gary Bettman for alienating the real fans), and for far less I can see all the replays of games that are on the local sports channels (or at least the ones that are in Dish Network's sports package).

And yes, those noise-meters are a joke. At IHL games in Cleveland, they always had the meter pushing the highest limits at the opening faceoff of each period even though the arena was less than half full most nights. I'm so glad we don't have a Jumbotron in Wichita Falls for that exact reason.

Forgive my bitterness, the Wildcats have lost 5 in a row.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Puckhound said...

I doubt I'm alone in noticing Center Ice's deficiencies. Does anyone know of any online campaign or petition that echoes these sentiments?

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home