10.12.2006

Hey, I remember you

In watching last night's game between the New York Islanders and host Anaheim Ducks, I couldn't help but recognize a bunch of names playing for the hometown team.

Sure, we've all heard of Teemu Selanne, Chris Pronger, the Niedermayer brothers and Jean-Sebastien Giguere. The players I'm referring to, though, were none of those.

Instead, a certain sense of familiarity came in hearing the names Ryan Getzlaf, Shane O'Brien, Dustin Penner, Corey Perry and Ryan Shannon. Though they may be playing in the NHL these days, I remember them all playing, at one time or another last season, for the Portland Pirates, the Ducks' AHL affiliate.

While I expected Getzlaf, Penner and Perry would stick with Anaheim this year, it's nice to see that O'Brien (who, in my opinion, skates like he's Popeye) and Shannon making the jump. Here's to hoping that they stay in the NHL for a long time or, at least, until Dec. 9 when we watch the Ducks play the Tampa Bay Lightning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home