10.10.2006

Gotta love "Cheap Skates"

Who says you need to spend a lot of money to collect autographs? I don’t. Sure, it’s nice getting cards, helmets, photos, pucks and sticks signed, but there is an alternative.

Using my so-called "cheap skates" cards, such as the one above for Boston’s Phil Kessel, is an inexpensive way to make truly unique items. They're especially good for rookies, call-ups and traded players.


They don’t have to be fancy, either. Use a team logo, the player’s picture and his name and you have a card. Let your imagination dictate the design.

Using Microsoft’s Word program and downloaded images, it takes me about five minutes, if that, to create a base version of a card. I even make game-dated team sheets for my son to use.

There’s no reason to worry about copyright infringements -- as long as the image is for personal use only. Try selling them (really, these are more valuable as memories of getting them signed), and then you have a different story.

1 Comments:

Blogger Puckhound said...

Here's some great advice from fellow hound Drew (I mistakenly deleted his comment):

You might also want to mention that this can be done to already-signed plain index cards as well. I had a ton of index cards signed that I had nothing to do with, so I did that, and just printed all the info on mine a few weeks ago. Just be careful not to make any mistakes when you're ready to print, as it can't be changed after it's printed on there.

Once in a while, a printer may eat an index card, but it's rare. A friend who does index cards for every rookie warned me of the possibility, but I never had a problem with it. And besides, if it's a good or rare enough autograph that you'd be distraught over it getting eaten, then just don't print anything on it. Simple as that.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home