8.25.2006

On wheat with Swiss cheese

Some assorted, but nonetheless hockey-related, thoughts while I polish off an early morning ham sandwich:

~ Now that Steve Yzerman has retired and Brendan Shanahan is playing for the Rangers, it's a pretty easy guess, in my estimation, who will be the Red Wings' next captain -- either Chris Chelios or Nicklas Lidstrom. I also heard, through highly-placed sources deep within the Motor City Pigeons' marketing hierarchy, that the team will produce a Dominik Hasek bobblehead -- it makes one split save and goes on the shelf for six to eight weeks.

~ Who the hell is H. Larue Renfroe and how did he get his hands on the AHL's
Providence Bruins? Sorry, dude, but that's as much of a hockey name as Rosco P. Coltrane. What makes Renfroe so special? I mean, why can't he just join a fantasy league like most of us.

~ It's not that I truly dislike it, but the Buffalo Sabres'
new logo certainly does resemble one bad-ass slug. Why didn't the team brass, with its infinite wisdom, just update the original blue, white and gold sweaters? That would certainly please some longtime Sabres fans.

~ Zdenek Blatny, (pronounced ZEHD-nihk, BLAHT-nee) who signed a standard AHL contract with the Springfield Falcons earlier this week, has one of my favorite last names. To me,
Blatny is wonderfully multi-dimensional, and not just as a cuss word. Not following me? Try these on for size: As in, "Ow!!! I think I just pulled my right Blatny." How about "Man, take a look at the size of that Blatny. We're gonna need some help here." Or you could try this dish for dinner tonight: Pan-seared filet of farm-raised and hand-rubbed Blatny, over a bed of organic sun-dried tomato linguine, swimming in a light garlic, almond and white wine sauce. See what I mean? The possibilities are endless.

~ Isn't it a bit of poetic justice that David Frost, the scumbag agent-turned-coach, is facing some very serious accusations? Though we must presume his innocence until any conviction on the sexual manipulation and assault charges, there's something about this guy that gives me the heebie-jeebies. Time will only tell whether Frost can be mentioned in the same sentence as convicted pedophile Graham James.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home