5.20.2007

Sunday morning homily XXV

As we make our way through life, we seldom recognize the pure genius that's encountered in advice. Most times, or at least in my case, it's usually sloughed off. I've believed for quite a long time that I know what's best for me. As a result, I often let these nuggets of wisdom flow uninterrupted between my ears.

Like most of you, obligations as a husband, father and employee (in that order, mind you) keep my plate pretty full. Adding in the responsibilities of this blog, while adhering to its mission, only increases the burden. The bottom line, unfortunately, has been an increase in stress.

Lately, though, I've been taking the time to listen -- not only to others, but myself as well. Want to know something? It's been pretty useful.

A trip to New Hampshire last week, which included defending myself in small-claims court (the case was settled for $1 and a cup of coffee), produced some of the best advice I've received in years -- simply, life's too short to walk around in a never-ending state of grumpiness.

For the past few years, I've tried to wage a campaign against hockey autograph dealers. Granted, I believe that their existence has only hurt our hobby. Now, though, I find myself wondering whether it's been worth the time, effort and hassles. As it stands now, it hasn't.

There's not much I can do to stop them. And, taking it a step further, do I even have the right to try to interfere? The answer? No. All I've done is lose focus of why I got into this hobby and the fun, memories and friends that have been a part of the journey.

The legal dispute that took me to New Hampshire involved an old friend. Without getting into too much detail, he wanted me to return some autographed sports memorabilia, including a pair of autographed game-issued Ray Bourque hockey gloves. Because they were given as gifts, I was reluctant to honor that request. Hence, the trip to New Hampshire.

Now that everything has been settled, and that fractured friendship has been restored, it's time to practice some of that advice. It's time to recognize that true friends look past differences, forgive mistakes and, sometimes, have your best interests in mind. It's also time, too, to sever one-way relationships, especially when you're always on the giving end.

In a roundabout way, all I'm trying to say is that it's better to distance yourself from frustration and embrace what brings you happiness. Pretty simple and good advice, if you ask me.

And for that, I'm grateful. Thanks, John, for being a friend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their are things in life worth having and to me Rons friendship is one of them, I recently opened a new chapter in my life, one that includes Ron and his Familys friendship, and a renewed friendship of a 6 year old, Colin has the way of touching peoples hearts in so many ways.

Like they say " the apple doesnt fall far from the tree" Colin has a great teacher and role model that of his ever so proud Dad Ron.

Ron is by far one of the best "hounds" their is and his collection speaks for its self, he is polite, respectfull, and thoughtfull. I do miss hounding with him,while we were hounding together Ron teached me so very much. Through Ron I have met some very nice friends Jackie, Sully, Tren, and ya Colin.

Lastely when I saw Ron a few weeks ago and after not seeing him for a while I must say he looked good, he looked like he was it peace with himself, he looked happy, and he reminded me what a true friend he is.

Ron, I Thank you so very much..

John

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home